In this article, we will explore what contactless delivery is, why it’s important, and provide some tips on how to implement it in your business.
Contactless delivery has emerged as a popular and safe way to deliver goods and services, especially in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
No-contact delivery is a game-changer for businesses, providing a safe and seamless customer experience. Whether you are a restaurant owner, a retailer, or a service provider, implementing contactless delivery can help you meet the growing demand for safe and convenient delivery options while ensuring the health and safety of your customers and employees.
What is Contactless Delivery?
Let’s see what does contactless delivery means. It’s a way of delivering food from a restaurant to the customer without physical contact between people. It involves leaving ordered food at the doorstep of the recipient. Restaurants call these fulfillment methods as „curbside delivery” or „contactless delivery”.
To make contactless delivery services possible, you’ll need an online ordering system like UpMenu. Key features of such systems, except ordering, are digital payments and custom delivery types to set up contactless deliveries.
This method has become increasingly popular due to social distancing regulations implemented by governments during the COVID-19 pandemic.
How Does Contactless Delivery Work?
Contactless deliveries involve a delivery process without physical contact between the delivery person and the recipient. Here’s how it typically works:
- Restaurants enable contactless delivery and digital payments for customers.
- Diners select a contactless option and pay online in advance when ordering food from restaurant websites. This feature tells restaurants that customers don’t want physical contact.
- The delivery person leaves food on the customer’s doorstep or curbside and sends a text notification or calls, informing them that the food was delivered.
- 85% of consumers wished that restaurants would offer contactless delivery (Source: Hotel Tech Report)
- Survey conducted by Toast found that 60% of restaurants believe that contactless delivery solution is crucial for their survival during the pandemic and beyond. (Source: Toast)
- In 2020, the global no-contact delivery market was valued at USD 4.67 billion and is expected to reach USD 14.83 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 17.4% from 2021 to 2026. (Source: Allied Market Research)
- In the US, 57% of consumers prefer contactless delivery options for their online purchases, according to a survey by Invesp. (Source: Invesp)
- The food delivery industry is expected to grow to $320 billion by 2029 (Source: Business of Apps)
What are the benefits of Contactless Delivery?
No-contact delivery offers numerous benefits for restaurants and customers alike. Let’s explore some of the advantages of why is contactless delivery important.
- Increases customer confidence and satisfaction: Contactless delivery gives customers peace of mind and reassurance that their safety is prioritized. This can help increase customer satisfaction and build loyalty.
- Provides a safe working environment for delivery personnel: Contactless delivery protects customers and delivery personnel, as they are not exposed to potential sources of infection.
- Reduces the need for physical contact: No-contact delivery eliminates the need for physical contact during delivery, making it more convenient and efficient for both the delivery person and the recipient.
- Minimizes the risk of spreading infectious diseases: Contactless delivery helps reduce the spread of infectious diseases, particularly during pandemics such as COVID-19, by eliminating physical contact between the delivery person and the recipient.
- Adheres to health guidelines and regulations: In many cases, no-contact delivery is required by health guidelines and regulations to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. Adhering to these guidelines helps protect public health and safety.
- Faster delivery: Contactless delivery combined with an online ordering system automates and speedup ordering and delivery process
Key Features of Contactless Delivery Software
To provide efficient contactless deliveries, businesses can leverage dedicated software like UpMenu that provides features to manage the entire delivery process. These solutions offer a variety of features that can help streamline operations, enhance customer experience, and promote safety.
- Customizable delivery options: Contactless delivery software provides customizable features, such as leaving at the customer’s doorstep or curbside pickup, giving diners flexibility and convenience.
- Contactless Payments: Allowing customers to pay without needing to exchange money physically.
- Online Ordering: Allowing customers to place orders online on the restaurant website or mobile app
- Restaurant Website Builder: Allowing restaurants to quickly and easily build a website to showcase their menu and accept online orders.
- Mobile Ordering App: Giving customers a convenient and easy way to order food or goods from their mobile device.
- Digital signatures and proof of delivery: Contactless delivery technology includes digital signature capabilities, providing proof of delivery without the need for physical contact.
- Real-time tracking and notifications: Allows customers to track the delivery in real-time and receive notifications when the delivery is on its way or has been completed.
- Secure data management: Contactless delivery software ensures the secure management of sensitive customer and delivery data with restaurant CRM
- Tipping: Contactless delivery software includes tipping options, allowing customers to tip delivery personnel without needing physical exchange of money.
- Integration: To ensure a smooth delivery process, look for software that seamlessly integrates with your existing systems, such as point-of-sale (POS) systems and inventory management software.
- Customization: Choose software tailored to your business needs and accommodate your specific delivery requirements, such as real-time tracking, automatic notifications, and custom delivery zones.
- Security: Ensure the software provider offers robust security measures, such as encryption and secure payment processing, to protect your customers’ sensitive information.
- User-Friendly: Choose software that is easy to use and offers a simple and intuitive interface that your delivery personnel and customers can navigate easily.
- Support: Look for software providers that offer comprehensive technical support, training resources, and documentation to help you and your team get up and running quickly and efficiently.
What are the Disadvantages of Having Contactless?
While no-contact delivery offers several benefits, it also has some potential disadvantages, including:
- Limited personal interaction: Contactless delivery eliminates the opportunity for face-to-face interaction between the delivery person and the recipient, which may be important for building customer relationships and satisfaction.
- Reduced quality control: With limited personal interaction, there may be a higher risk of errors or mistakes in the delivery process, such as incorrect orders or damaged goods.
- Higher delivery costs: Implementing contactless delivery options may require additional equipment or software, increasing business delivery costs.
- Technical issues: Contactless delivery requires reliable communication and payment processing technology. Technical issues such as poor internet connectivity or software glitches can disrupt the delivery process and cause delays or errors. All these limitations can be solved with UpMenu
Engaging with customers during contactless delivery can be challenging, but businesses can still maintain a positive customer experience in several ways. Here are some tips:
- Communicate frequently about order status: Provide regular updates to customers about their delivery status through automated text messages or emails. This helps keep customers informed and reassured that their order is coming.
- Include personalized notes: Consider adding a personalized note to the delivery, thanking the customer for their business and expressing appreciation. With UpMenu, you can use restaurant SMS marketing and restaurant email marketing.
- Contactless delivery incentives: Consider offering promotions or discounts for customers who choose contactless delivery to encourage them to continue using this option.
- Feedback: Encourage customers to leave restaurant feedback on their contactless delivery experience, either through a follow-up email or a survey. This feedback can help businesses improve their processes and customer experience.
- Use social media: Use social media to engage with customers and share updates about your business. Consider offering promotions or giveaways for customers who engage with your business on social media.
How to do Contactless Delivery (5 steps guide)
If you are wondering how to start offering contactless delivery, here is our step-by-step guide, which provides all the necessary information to get started.
Step 1: Set Up Online Ordering System
An online ordering system is necessary for customers to place orders remotely. UpMenu system includes features like menus, item descriptions, pricing, and an easy-to-use interface. Our system is reliable, user-friendly, and can integrate with your existing business processes.
Learn more with our article about how to set up online ordering system.
Step 3: Build Website (if you don’t have)
If you don’t already have a website, create one that communicates your business’s contactless delivery options. Include information about your menu, prices, delivery options, and safety protocols. Your website should be easy to navigate and visually appealing.
Find out more information in our article about how to create a restaurant website for free.
Step 4: Enable Contactless Delivery Option
In UpMenu online ordering system, simply enable a contactless delivery option that allows customers to select a no-contact delivery method.
Step 5: Train Restaurant Staff
Show your employees how to recognize contactless orders and explain the delivery process. Provide them with the necessary equipment and protocols to ensure safe and smooth deliveries. This may include providing personal protective equipment (PPE) such as masks and gloves, sanitizing delivery bags, and communicating delivery protocols to customers.
To provide contactless deliveries, restaurants need an online ordering system, delivery personnel trained in safety protocols, packaging materials, clear delivery instructions, and a secure payment processing system. With these essential components, businesses can provide a seamless and safe delivery experience while minimizing physical contact.
How to Promote the No-Contact Delivery System
Promoting a no-contact delivery system is crucial to ensure customers know the available delivery options and feel safe when ordering goods and services. Here are some ways businesses can promote their no-contact delivery system:
- Update website and social media: Update your website and social media profiles with information about your delivery system. Clearly state the available delivery options, including your business’s steps to ensure customer safety.
- Email and SMS campaigns: Reach out to your existing customers through email and SMS campaigns, highlighting your no-contact delivery system and its benefits. Encourage customers to choose this option and provide clear instructions on how to place an order.
- In-store signage: For businesses with physical locations, use in-store signage to inform about contactless deliveries. Place signs in prominent areas near the entrance or checkout counter to ensure customers know the available delivery options.
- Offer discounts and promotions: Encourage customers to use your no-contact delivery system by offering discounts and promotions for this delivery option. This can incentivize customers to choose this option and help build customer loyalty.
- Contactless food delivery works without physical contact between people.
- To make contactless delivery work, you will need restaurant’s online ordering system to get the diner’s contactless payment option.
- The biggest benefit is increasing customer confidence and satisfaction and providing safety to customers and staff.
- Disadvantage of no-contact delivery is limited personal interaction. To engage customers during contactless delivery, notify them frequently about order status and ask for feedback or review.
- Implement contactless delivery not only during the pandemic. Let this ordering option permanently remain in the offer of your restaurant.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Should Contactless Delivery be Offered Beyond the Pandemic?
Yes, you should offer no-contact delivery options beyond the pandemic. The pandemic shows that this option is helpful and convenient for customers because increases customer confidence and safety.
Are there Alternatives to Contactless Delivery?
There are alternatives to contactless delivery, depending on the type of business and the specific delivery needs. Here are some alternatives:
- Curbside pickup allows customers to place orders online or over the phone and pick them up from a designated curbside location without entering the business.
- In-store pickup: Customers can place orders online or over the phone and pick them up inside the business without interacting with the delivery person.
- Traditional delivery: This option involves a delivery person handing the order to the customer. However, both parties can take precautions, such as wearing face masks and practicing social distancing.
- Drive-thru: This option is suitable for businesses with drive-thru capabilities. Customers can place their order at the drive-thru window and receive their order without entering the business.
- Bike courier delivery: This option is suitable for small deliveries within a short distance. A delivery person on a bike can transport the order to the customer’s location without needing a vehicle.
Can You Pay Cash with No-Contact Delivery?
The payment options for no-contact delivery vary depending on the policy of each business. While some businesses may permit cash payment for no-contact delivery, others may only accept contactless payment methods such as credit card or mobile payment options.
However, it is important to note that using contactless payment methods is a safer option for both the customer and the delivery person as it reduces the risk of transmitting infectious diseases through physical contact. If cash payment is allowed, it is recommended to have an exact change or to sanitize the cash before and after the transaction.
Does a Delivery Person Touch my Doorbell when Doing No-Contact Deliveries?
The use of a doorbell or knock by the delivery driver during no-contact delivery depends on the specific policy of the business or delivery service. While some may notify the customer that their delivery has arrived this way, others may simply leave the delivery at the doorstep and depart without alerting the customer.
The best option is an online ordering notification system that allows delivery drivers to notify customers and leave food at their doorstep.
How do Restaurants Keep Food Safe when Making it?
Restaurants employ several measures to ensure that the food they prepare and serve is safe for consumption. Here are some common ways restaurants keep food safe:
- Proper storage: Restaurants store raw and cooked food separately to prevent cross-contamination. They also store food at the appropriate temperature to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Thorough cleaning: Restaurants follow strict sanitation protocols to thoroughly clean and disinfect all surfaces, utensils, and equipment.
- Hygiene practices: Restaurants require their staff to practice good hygiene, such as washing their hands frequently and wearing gloves and hairnets while handling food.
- Regular inspections: Restaurants undergo regular inspections by health departments to ensure they follow food safety guidelines and regulations.
By implementing these measures, restaurants can ensure their food is safe for consumption and minimize the risk of foodborne illnesses.
How to Tip with Contactless Delivery?
Tipping is an important part of the food delivery experience, and with the rise of contactless delivery, many customers are wondering how to tip their delivery person without physical contact. Here are some ways to tip with contactless delivery:
- Online payment: Some food delivery apps and websites allow customers to add a tip to their order during the online payment process. This is a convenient and contactless way to tip.
- Venmo or Cash App: If you prefer to tip with cash, you can use digital payment services to send money to your delivery person’s account. Be sure to confirm their account information before sending the tip.
- Include a note: If you have a special message or note for your delivery person, you can include it in the delivery instructions or add a note to your online order. This is a thoughtful way to show appreciation and connect with your delivery person, even if you can’t tip in person.
What Does Contactless Delivery No Signature Will be Taken Mean?
That means the delivery person will not require the recipient to sign for the delivery as proof of receipt physically. Instead, the delivery person will leave the package or order at the doorstep or a designated drop-off location, alert the recipient that the delivery has been made, and then depart without physical interaction or exchange of documents.