In today’s competitive restaurant industry, restaurant owners are constantly on the search for solutions that can speed up processes, reduce the risk of errors and save time. And solutions for creating custom menus for restaurants are no exception. Restaurant menus are what drive sales and increase order value, which puts them at the heart of every restaurant business. To make your menu design process easy, here are 10 of the best menu-making apps that will make your menu take off.
What is a menu-making app?
Menu-making apps are an innovative software solution that provides restaurants with a possibility to create, manage, and design custom menus. Thanks to menu maker apps, restaurants can easily customize their menu layouts, add, edit, and remove menu items, and adjust prices and menu descriptions. Additionally, you’re able to insert images to make a digital menu more engaging and attractive to customers, all with just a few taps.
Menu maker apps are available in both web-based and mobile formats and can be used to create both digital and printed menus. Additionally, some menu-making apps offer advanced features such as inventory, recipe management, restaurant marketing tools, graphic design options, and online ordering.
Why do restaurants need menu-making apps?
- Time-saving: Menu maker apps simplify the menu design process by giving you professionally designed templates that don’t require any design skills or having to hire a graphic designer to prepare them.
- Customization: Digital menu making apps offer many customization options and allow restaurant operators to create unique and complete menus that represent their brand.
- Efficiency: Menu-making apps increase efficiency, lower the risk of errors, and make it easier for restaurant staff to update and maintain their own menu.
- Cost-effectiveness: Apps for making menus can help restaurants reduce printing and menu design expenses while minimizing waste by enabling them to make digital updates to their menus rather than continually printing new ones.
- Customer satisfaction: Menu-making apps help restaurants provide customers with a more seamless and enjoyable dining experience. By presenting precise and current menus with elaborate menu descriptions and pictures, customers can make well-informed choices regarding their orders, mitigating the chance of miscommunication or dissatisfaction.
What is a good app to create a menu?
There are a wide range of apps for making menus and menu engineering, but to help you find the right solution for you, we’ve listed 10 of the best menu-making apps.
- Adobe Express
Key features comparison matrix
Choosing the optimal menu-making app for your restaurant entails careful deliberation of several factors. To help you make a well-informed decision, we’ve conducted an in-depth analysis of 10 diverse menu-making apps.
|Additional costs||No||Yes, premium features cost extra||Yes, custom menu design costs extra||Yes, premium features cost extra||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Paper menu templates|
|QR code menu|
UpMenu is a food ordering system that provides restaurants with mobile apps for taking food orders. Restaurants can use the UpMenu menu management system to create a menu online. It is an easy-to-use menu builder that allows adding and editing multiple digital menus with modifiers, menu descriptions, and photos.
Additionally, UpMenu offers a number of free menu templates that make menu building quick and easy. You can also build a QR code menu with the system and print it to enhance customer service and boost sales.
Upmenu offers subscription-based services.
There are 3 plans to choose from:
- Basic – $49
- Standard – $89
- Premium – $169
Canva offers a variety of visual content and design assets, including social media graphics, presentations, posters, flyers, logos, menu designs, and more. It is accessible to those with little to no design knowledge thanks to its user-friendly interface and large library of pre-designed templates, premium photos, drawings, icons, and fonts, which are included in the free plan.
You can use Canva for free, but if you want unlimited access to templates, use extra features like one-click background remover, or build your brand, it costs $119.99 per year per person.
iMenuPro is an online menu design and management software that helps foodservice businesses including restaurants, cafes, and bars produce professional menus that are visually appealing. It offers a simple user interface and a number of features that allow you to build, update, and print menus with just a few clicks.
The cost of using iMenuPro is $15 per month.
The Premium version with all features costs $9.99 per month.
MustHaveMenus is a web platform that helps restaurants and other foodservice businesses create and manage their menus. To assist businesses in efficiently showcasing their dishes, it offers configurable free menu templates, design tools, printing services, and a variety of other features.
MustHaveMenus Pro version costs $24.92 per month.
ordering in 5 minutes
Visme is an online tool that allows users to produce a variety of visual information, such as infographics, reports, presentations, social media graphics, and more. It offers an intuitive user interface, a selection of design tools, and templates to assist users and organizations in producing visually appealing and compelling visual content.
A starter plan costs $29.00 per month.
PosterMyWall is a web design tool that allows users to design and personalize a range of visual assets, such as posters, flyers, social media graphics, and more, using the online design tool and marketplace. It offers a user-friendly interface, a variety of design templates, photos, stunning typography, and other creative assets to assist users in producing designs that are aesthetically appealing.
The Premium subscription costs $9.95 per month.
Flipsnack is an online tool for internal communication. Users may create, distribute, and publish interactive digital publications like magazines, catalogs, brochures, and flip books using the platform. It offers a user-friendly interface and a number of tools to assist people and businesses in showcasing their material in an interesting and visually appealing way.
Piktochart is an online design tool used to create presentations, posters, reports, infographics, and other visual content. It offers a user-friendly interface together with a huge selection of editable design elements, templates, and tools to help people and organizations in efficiently communicating information through eye-catching designs.
There is a free online menu maker plan for starters. The Pro plan costs $14 per member per month.
Fotor is an online application for designing and editing photos that has many capabilities for enhancing and transforming pictures. It offers users a simple user interface and a number of editing tools so they may change the colors, add filters, add effects, and improve their photographs in other ways. Additionally, Fotor provides design templates and publishing capabilities for social media posts, collages, and graphics.
There are three subscription plans:
- Fotor Basic, which is free
- Fotor Pro, which costs $8.99 per month
- Fotor Pro+, which costs $19.99 per month
- Choosing a menu-making app requires a careful analysis of advantages and disadvantages of a given tool.
- Always check if there are any additional costs besides the pricing plan
- Consider using a tool, which will enable you to create both paper and digital restaurant menus.
- Only UpMenu provides you with the option to create an online menu with modifiers management module and comprehensive online ordering system.
- Nowadays more and more customers look for a QR code menu. Choose a menu-making app that gives you the option to create it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What can I use to design a menu?
Depending on your preferences and level of design expertise, you can create a menu using a variety of tools. Here are a few well-liked choices:
- Graphic design software: With rich design features offered by graphic design programs, you’ll be able to create unique menu layouts from scratch. These tools provide cutting-edge capabilities and exact control over each design component.
- Software for desktop publishing: Programs like UpMenu provide a selection of design and layout capabilities that are especially suited for producing menus. This system offers templates and design components that expedite the menu design process.
- Online design tools: Sites like UpMenu, Canva, PosterMyWall, or Adobe Express provide intuitive user interfaces and a huge selection of templates that may be customized especially for menus. These tools offer a more user-friendly and accessible approach to design, making them appropriate for individuals with limited design expertise.
- Menu Design Templates: A lot of websites and software programs provide pre-designed menu templates that you may edit to match the look and feel of your restaurant. You may easily customize the design using tools like UpMenu, MustHaveMenus, iMenuPro, or Flipsnack, which offer a range of menu designs with adjustable features.
How do you make a homemade menu?
Making your own food menu can be a creative and enjoyable project that can save you hundreds on menu design costs. Here are the steps you can take to create your own menu:
- Brainstorm: Select the dishes and other ingredients you want to use for your menu. Think about your target market, the concept or theme of your restaurant, and any special dietary needs or requirements you need to accommodate.
- Menu layout: consider your menu layout and categories, such as appetizers, main dishes, desserts, beverages, etc., you want to include. Your menu will become more organized as a result, making it simpler for customers to navigate.
- Write descriptions: For each item on your menu, write clear, alluring descriptions. Describe the main ingredients, flavors, and any unique characteristics or cooking methods employed.
- Include prices: decide on each item’s price and include it in the item description. Make sure your pricing reflects the value you offer and is consistent with your target market.
- Create a visual design: Establish the required page count, size, and orientation (portrait or landscape). Before beginning the digital design, draft out the layout on paper.
- Selecting fonts and colors: Choose fonts and colors that go with the logo or theme of your restaurant. Use readable typefaces that go well with the overall design and are legible. Choose hues that will help you achieve the desired atmosphere or look.
- Print or publish the menu: print your menu pages on good paper, cardstock, or have a printing company print it for, especially if you plan to have table tents. After your design is ready, assemble the pages. If you’re planning on having a digital menu, simply go over your menu items and designs. If you’re satisfied with the results, just publish your menu and you’re good to go.
How do I create a menu template?
An effective technique to speed up the process of producing menus for your restaurant or foodservice business is to create a menu template. The steps to creating a menu template are as follows:
- Choose the layout: Establish the structure and layout of your menu template. Think about the amount of sections, how the contents are organized, and any other design components you wish to use, like headers, borders, or columns.
- Find programs or design tools: To construct your template, use a program or design tool like UpMenu, Adobe Express or Canva if you don’t feel like starting from scratch.
- Decide on the size: Standard menus are either 8.5″ x 11″ (letter format) or 8.5″ x 14″ (legal size). If there are any folding or binding specifications, be sure to take them into account.
- Header and the branding components: Make a visually appealing header with the name, logo, and any other branding components you want to use for your restaurant. Make sure the header captures the essence of your business and establishes the tone for the menu.
- Fonts: choose fonts that complement the logo or theme of your restaurant. To distinguish between item names, descriptions, and prices, use various font sizes and styles. Keep the template consistent throughout.
- Include visual components: To improve your template’s visual appeal, think about integrating visual components like pictures, graphics, or icons. Use eye-catching images that accurately depict the menu or atmosphere of your business.
- Review and improve: Pay close attention to the template design and make sure it is readable.
Which app is best for menu card design?
There are several apps and design tools available that can help you create a visually appealing menu. The best app for a menu design is UpMenu, as it’s dedicated to the food service industry specifically. With over 40 menu templates, fully customizable designs, and extra tools such as a built in online ordering option, UpMenu stands out as one of the top menu card design systems.
How do I create a creative menu?
Thinking outside the box and introducing distinctive and captivating aspects that attract your clients are essential to creating a creative menu. You can make a creative menu by following the steps shown below:
- Recognize your idea: start by becoming familiar with the concept, theme, or cuisine of your restaurant. Think about your target market, the atmosphere you want to create, and the kind of eating experience you want to offer in general. Your cuisine should complement and go along with your theme.
- Narrate a story: use your menu to create a story about your eatery, the ideas that went into your cuisine, or the journey that you took to starting your business. Include verbalizations that conjure up feelings and images to enhance the meal experience.
- Play with words: describe your cuisine using imaginative, alluring wording. Create engaging and enticing descriptions of your recipes rather than just listing the ingredients to make them stand out. To draw customers in, play around with phrases, be humorous, and arouse curiosity.
- Include graphics: use images in your menu design to increase its aesthetic appeal. Add high-quality pictures of your food or utilize artwork and graphics. Create a visually appealing menu that captures the spirit of your restaurant by paying attention to the overall design, font selections, and color scheme.
- Experiment with menu sections: offer a tasting menu that delivers a specially curated dining experience or a “Chef’s Specials” section that is updated every day. To add a tactile and memorable element to your menu, take into account utilizing various forms, folds, or materials.
- Highlight fresh and local dishes: use this to draw attention to your menu’s local sourcing. Showcase recipes that use fresh seasonal ingredients or local producers. This displays a dedication to sustainability, freshness, and local community support.