There’s a lot of confusion surrounding the Doordash Top Dasher. It takes quite a bit of work to get the title. Understandably, a lot of aspiring Doordashers are wondering what Top Dasher is and whether becoming one is actually worth it.
At the same time, many restaurateurs are considering hiring DoorDash drivers and are wondering whether having Top Dashers at their disposal would improve their customer experience as an alternative to other popular third-party delivery services.
Lucky for us, all of these questions have their answers.
In this article, we’re going to explore:
- What is a Top Dasher?
- How to get Top Dasher in 2023?
- Is Top Dasher worth it?
- How many deliveries does it take to become a Top Dasher?
- Do Top Dashers get priority?
- Top Dasher perks (for Doordashers and restaurant owners)
What Is a Top Dasher?Top Dasher is an incentive program offered by the food delivery service, DoorDash, that rewards its most active and reliable Dashers with additional perks and benefits. The Doordash Top Dasher program recognizes and rewards its most active and high-performing delivery drivers, known as Dashers. The program encourages Dashers to maintain a high level of customer service, order acceptance, and on-time deliveries by offering exclusive benefits and perks to those who qualify as Top Dashers.
How to Get Top Dasher: Top Dasher Requirements 2023
Top Dasher criteria are challenging and difficult to meet. If you’re looking to go for it, be aware that this will likely have to be your only gig. Having time for other delivery apps is extremely unlikely.
To qualify for Top Dasher, you will have to meet the criteria and maintain them until the last day of the month before attempting a Top Dasher. So, to become a Top Dasher in July, you’re going to have to meet the criteria by June 31, 11:59 pm (local time)
- High customer rating of at least 4.7
- Acceptance rate of at least 70%
- Completion rate of at least 95%
- 100 completed deliveries during the last month
- At least 200 lifetime deliveries completed
Remember that you can only be added to the Top Dasher program on the 2nd day of each month. In a case where you have met the criteria mid-month, you should aim at maintaining them until the last day of the month, 11:59 pm local time.
Doordash Top Dasher Perks: Is Top Dasher Worth It?
Becoming a Top Dasher is extremely competitive but comes with some great perks.
Once a Dasher achieves Top Dasher status, they are granted access to a couple of additional perks. First is priority scheduling. If two Doordashers have the same order available, the driver with Top Dasher status will be given priority. This allows them to choose the most lucrative delivery times before other Dashers and the ability to maintain their status without meeting the minimum acceptance rate requirement.
Another is high-value order priority, where top Dashers get priority over orders of $30 or more. This means you can pass on low-paying orders and use your dasher app to pick the ones that are the most beneficial.
Regular DoorDash drivers are required to plan their working hours in advance. As a Top Dasher, you’ll have the privilege of using the “Dash Now” feature (which normally is accessible only during peak demand times) at any time, regardless of whether it’s a busy period or not.
This means that whenever you want to start working, you can just tap the “Dash Now” button and begin.
- First is priority scheduling: If two Doordashers have the same order available, the driver with Top Dasher status will be given priority.
- High-value order priority: Top Dashers get priority over orders of $30 or more.
- ‘Dash Now’ anytime: You can use the ‘Dash Now’ feature anytime.
Achieving Top Dasher is highly competitive and is likely to require you to commit to DoorDash full-time. That said, having the Top Dasher status will generally mean you won’t need to use other delivery apps to make the same or even more.
Doordash for Restaurant Owners – Pros & Cons
The biggest advantage of DoorDash lies in the size of the company. The large customer base ensures that your restaurant will be getting some extra spotlight through the DoorDash app. In other words, you get the chance to reach new customers fast, which is also the case with any massive third-party delivery service.
The biggest disadvantage of DoorDash is that it charges outrageous fees that can quickly drive you out of business.
- Improved restaurant visibility: By using a third-party delivery service like DoorDash or Uber Eats, you can land new customers more easily.
- No need to hire drivers: You no longer have to worry about hiring or training delivery drivers.
- High service and delivery fees: Doordash charges as much as 30% in service fees and 6% in pickup fees.
- Loss of control: Partnering with a third-party delivery service may decrease control over the customer experience, from food handling to delivery times. This could potentially affect your restaurant’s reputation if issues arise.
- Impact on dine-in business: While partnering with DoorDash can boost your delivery orders, it may also lead to decreased dine-in business, as customers may prefer the convenience of ordering online.
- Cost Increase as your business grows: DoorDash fees are created in a way to charge bigger chains more money. This means as you grow, you’re going to be paying higher commissions.
The main issue with food delivery services like Doordash is that you’re bound to be charged massive fees in exchange for using them. No matter how you look at it, paying 30% and more in commissions can hardly be considered a good deal.
If you want to be profitable, you’re going to have to cut Doordash fees by a lot.
As you surely know, DoorDash is not the only food delivery service available to restaurants. DoorDash, just like Uber Eats, GrubHub, and any other delivery service, makes its bank by charging you massive commissions.
If you’re looking for a service that doesn’t charge you fees and puts you in control of your business, you may want to consider a DoorDash alternative.
- Top Dasher is an incentive program for DoorDash drivers
- Being a Top Dasher comes with many benefits, such as order priority, ‘Dash Now’ anytime, and priority for orders over $30.
- Top Dasher is very difficult to achieve and requires drivers to meet a number of criteria, such as having an acceptance rate of 70 percent or larger, a completion rate of at least 95%, and at least 200 lifetime deliveries.
- To qualify for Top Dasher, you will need to meet the criteria and maintain them until the last day of the month before attempting a Top Dasher.
- DoorDasher charges well over 30% in commissions in exchange for additional exposure and delivery service.
ordering in 5 minutes
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
To become a Top Dasher, you need to complete at least 200 lifetime deliveries. Additionally, you need to have an acceptance rate of at least 70%, a completion rate of at least 95%, and a customer rating of at least 4.7
Being a Top Dasher comes with benefits like order priority, ‘Dash Now’ anytime, and priority for orders over $30. This means you can focus on high-value orders and dash anytime you want.
The Top Dasher lasts a month, resetting on the first day of every month. You can remain a Top Dasher by meeting the requirements of Top Dasher by the end of the month. For example, if you were a Top Dasher throughout July, you will have to make sure to meet the criteria again by the last day of July at 11:59 pm.
Luckily, meeting the Top Dasher criteria is easier once you have the title thanks to the perks that it offers, like ‘Dash Now’ anytime and order priority.
|Food Delivery App||Commission|
|Your Own App||0%|
|DoorDash||15-30% delivery fee |
6% pickup fee
|UberEats||15-30% delivery fee |
6% pickup fee
|GrubHub||15-30% service fee |
10% delivery fee
|Postmates||15-30% service fee |
0.80% up to $5.00 direct deposit fee
If you’re looking to remove commission costs, you might want to consider trying out uber eats alternatives.
You can be a Top Dasher in most of the major cities. Below is a list of example cities you can be a Top Dasher in:
- Las Vegas
- New Orleans
- New York City
- Washington, D.C.